For the second year in a row I have joined the smug masses participating in “Dry January”. While people have a variety of reasons for skipping alcohol, for me it’s about resetting my brain/body. Getting back into a groove where drinking is a special thing, not an everyday thing. (Put another way: a total backlash to the obscene amount of wine consumed between Thanksgiving and New Year’s). And if my skin, sleep, and general personhood improve, I won’t be complaining.
But let’s not stop there, we gotta go the healthy extra mile. We can’t just replace alcohol with with sugar as many mocktail recipes seem to suggest. No, no, no, no. We want to feel hydrated! refreshed! radiant! The best versions of ourselves! It’s January, people!
So, without further ado, eight delicious, healthy, drinks to get you through the month. (Bonus: none of these require a million specialty ingredients, making syrups, muddling, or other tiresome steps. Go live your life.)
- Spa Water – Toss some sliced lemons, cucumbers, and a few sprigs mint in a pitcher. Fill it with water and let it sit in your fridge for a bit. Enjoy & feel supremely hydrated.
- Make your morning cup of coffee a little more exciting.
- Kombucha Mocktail – Mix one part kombucha and one part sparkling water, add a dash of lemon. Play around with flavor combos! (Would ginger kombucha and lime sparkling water taste like a Moscow Mule?!)
- Grapefruit Sparkling Mocktail
- Sparkling Chamomile Tea Mocktail
- Rainbow Spritzers
- Grapefruit Sage Mocktail
- Just embrace your inner little old lady (just do it already!) and drink hot water with lemon. Maybe sprinkle a little cinnamon in there too? Honey? Add some cayenne and call it a cleanse. Things are getting wild.
Check out my pinterest board for even more ideas!